Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Meeting the Man


For those of you who know me well, you know that I have one particular baseball player that is my all-time favorite. I have been his fan since I was in high school. When I was in college my walls were covered with pictures of him. Yes, I'm talking about the one and only #47 JOHN MABRY!!!!

Here is a bit of background on things also. He played with the Cardinals until a few years ago. Then he was traded or went to the Cubs.. YUK!!! Then last year or the year before he retired. It was a sad day in the Pingel household when he hung up his cleats and said goodbye to the game he loved.

Anyway since then the Cardinals have picked up Ryan Ludwick.. Taking what number..??... 47. That did not make me very happy. In fact, I have not been the biggest fan of Ludwick for that very reason.

Well this past Saturday my cousins John and Tracy hosted a 16th birthday party for their son John. (Lots of Johns here, so bear with me.) My cousin John and Mabry are very good friends. So they invited they Mabry family. Well, they showed up. Everyone in my family knows what a Mabry fan I have been and I knew they were going to embarass me. Well after being there for a few hours and not being embarrassed yet I thought I had skirted by. UNTIL.... I was sitting and getting ready to eat and I hear, "Are you going to eat all that?" Thinking is was my cousin being silly I looked up and it was Mabry.. I about peed my pants!

Now you also have to realize that all evening I had been trying to take a picture of me with him in the background with my cell phone. Then he says, "I hear you want your picture taken with me." Beet red face, giggling like a little girl, star struck, I said yes. So he said, "let's get a picture then". So we did. Then he asked, "Do you still hate Ludwick"? I wanted to die.. since someone had told him about that. I said, "he's not soo bad, now".

Later on that evening, the neighbor who had taken the picture came back. She had gone and made an 8x10 of the best one and had him autograph it for me.. It says.. "To Steph All the best John Mabry #47". How great is that! It is framed right now.

I must say that he is a really nice guy. His wife is also very nice. She took a picture on my cell phone for me, so I could send it to Dan to rub in his face.. LOL

August 16, 2008 will truly be a day I will never forget. I got to meet my Cardinals baseball hero!!!

0 comments: